Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sat Jan 31 09:30:49 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:

> Now, 2 questions pop up in me.
>
> Is there any terminal test which can reveal the presence of any device
> at any USB port?

I only know of lsusb

> Is it worth trying to reformat the external HD after backing up the
> data on it elsewhere? If so, how exactly?

If it is a windows filesystem I would do it in windows. But I doubt that
this will help.

Before thinking of reformatting, you could do an "advanced file system
check and repair" in windows.
ntfsfix in Linux can do a similar thing but as you cannot access your
disk in Linu.....

Eberhard