Can't set clock

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun Jan 4 22:34:30 UTC 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
> > Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct
> > time, it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you
> > reboot it, then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
> that it can't update the time...  :@(
>
> I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
> rebooted...  it made no difference.

Try running:

ntpdate  pool.ntp.org

That is a one time shot at setting the clock.

Either make it a cron job (daily)  or modify:

/etc/ntp.conf

to include pool.ntp.org   as a time server.

Here's the appropriate server entries I have in  /etc/ntp.conf:

# You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
#server ntp.ubuntu.com
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org