Can't set clock

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 01:08:39 UTC 2009

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>
>>> Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct
>>> time, it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you
>>> reboot it, then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
>> that it can't update the time...  :@(
>>
>> I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
>> rebooted...  it made no difference.
>>

> Try running:
>
> ntpdate  pool.ntp.org
>

> That is a one time shot at setting the clock.

wulfy at wulfy-desktop:~$ ntpdate  pool.ntp.org
 5 Jan 01:01:14 ntpdate[13316]: bind() fails: Permission denied
wulfy at wulfy-desktop:~$ sudo ntpdate  pool.ntp.org
[sudo] password for wulfy:
 5 Jan 01:01:29 ntpdate[13318]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting

> Either make it a cron job (daily)  or modify:
>
> /etc/ntp.conf
>
> to include pool.ntp.org   as a time server.
>
> Here's the appropriate server entries I have in  /etc/ntp.conf:
>
> # You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
> #server ntp.ubuntu.com
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org

I made the changes to ntp.conf.  The daily cron job accesses ntp.conf...

Thanks for your help, Bruce!  Much appreciated.  I'll report back in a
day or so if it's working...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann