4.2 seems to be missing lots of stuff

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Feb 9 22:51:43 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Jonas Norlander said the following at 02/09/2009 03:02 PM :
>> 2009/2/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
>>> I just "updated" my laptop to 4.2 using the procedure outlined at
>>> www.kubuntu.org.
>>>

>>> It seems to be more or less useless, and missing a ton of stuff that I rely on.
>>>
>>> Just to state the things that I've come across in about the first 30 seconds:
>>>  plasma_applet_notes
>>>  kwifimanager
>>>  showdashboard
>>>  quickaccess
>>>
>> As far as iI know KDE 4.2 has everything that 4.1 has and more. Knotes
>> and the notes plasmoid is there, showdashboard is there and so are
>> quickaccess are you shure you installed all plasmoids? Do a search and
>> see if you miss some.
>
> I just followed the instructions; no more, no less.
>
> The whole thing's a disaster.
Why can't you calm down and allow us to fix your problems. ;-)

> I'm reinstalling 8.10 and reminding myself never, ever to use unreleased
> stuff again.

I apologize, this must be among the most stupid things that I heard.

Remember: This is not Windows, this is Linux! There is no need to
reinstall. This is even more true, when we are dealing with GUIs.

You can always remove 4.2 and reinstall 4.1x. Imho it does not make any
sense, but you are free to do it, if this is what you want to do.

As crazy as it is, it is possible.

> I don't know why I succumbed to the temptation to use PPA. You'd think that
> the fact that I have never, ever failed to regret using unsupported
> packages would have sunk in by now.

Again, as others already told you, 4.2 is working brilliantly over here,
so what makes you think that things will be worse for you?

> I'm sure that other people have had great success. They were lucky. This
> used to happen with monotonous regularity in the Mandrake/Mandriva days,
> until I swore I'd never do it again.

So I am glad that I was among the lucky ones.;-)

Luckily my impression is that most people  here are as happy as I am,
celebrating that KDE 4.2 FINALLY made it to much more than a
half-decently usable environment.

Eberhard