Newbie thinkin' about KDE &ClamTk virus scanner says...DUH.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Feb 3 07:41:35 GMT 2009

Frani Angel wrote:
> Have questions...not sure if I'm supposed to start one thread per
> question or just ask them all in at once. So I'll ask two right now.

Usually it is better to use one thread per question.

> My other problem with deciding about and installing the KDE desktop is
> that I'm not sure how to get or install KDE

Install the package "kubuntu-desktop" with your favourite package manager.
That package will request the rest of Kubuntu.

> ... or how to find that old
> journal/calender program either

I'm not sure but I suppose you mean KOrganizer which is integrated in the
program Kontact. It will be installed automatically with the
kubuntu-desktop package.

> - or if a "newer" version of that
> journal/calendar/time manager is already present on the "new" KDE, or
> if I should use the 4.2 KDE or would it be better for me to go with a
> more stable, but slightly older version of KDE, etc.

That depends on your preference. If always you need the latest and (not
always) greatest installed, you could use KDE 4.2. Personally I prefer a
stable platform, so I'm using KDE3 and I will wait with upgrading until
the release of Kubuntu 9.04 or maybe even 9.10.

I think if you want KDE 4.2 now you need Kubuntu 8.10 with a ppa
repository enabled. To get to that point you would first upgrade to 8.10
which brings KDE 4.1.something. See
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades> for upgrade
instructions. After that you would add the ppa repository like it is
described here: <http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2>.

> * Can anyone give me a general sort of plus and minus review of what
> are the difference between KDE & gnome? What do I give up if I use KDE
> vrs. gnome?

Well, my totally biased answer is this: Gnome is UGLY and you don't lose
anything if you use KDE instead. However, many people don't agree with
that view. IMHO you have to decide for yourself what is better for you.
And you can always start Gnome applications with KDE and vice versa. If
you have both desktops installed you can select which one to use when you
login.

> Because I came from windows, I imagine that I have to have some sort of
> way to scan for viruses, so I downloaded ClamTk, which is a virus
> scanner.

No, you don't have to scan for viruses. While some people insist that it
might be possible in theory to write a virus for Linux, there are no real
Linux viruses in the wild ATM. The only reason to scan for viruses would
be to protect Windows users if you host their mail.

Nils