Flash and RTL languages

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:36:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 20:51 +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> My two boys have taken a liking to playing a Flash based game on the website: Ekoloko
> http://www.ekoloko.com/
> The problem is that although the first page shows the Hebrew correctly, once they login and start
> to play the game the Hebrew is backwards - that is that the letters are going from left to right
> instead of from right to left. They say that it's rather annoying and that on that other
> operating system the problem doesn't arise.
> This is also true for other Flash sites that contain Hebrew in the Flash content.
>
> Why is it only on Linux that this happens?
> BTW this is on 8.04, Flash 9 (flashplugin-nonfree).
>
> On another box running 8.10 and Flash 10 (adobe-flashplugin) the game itself won't load. This is
> also true for quite a few Flash game sites (they have a Linux Live DVD with Flash 9 that they use!).
>
> Any ideas why Hebrew (and most probably Arabic) displays backwards?

It was mentioned that after installing flash 10 you have to disable it
in tools/addons, exit firefox, start firefox, then re-enable it and then
restart again. That fixed quite a few problems that I had with it. Now,
it runs smooth. Jus' my two-cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987