installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 13:56:49 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Tom H wrote:

>>> /etc/sudoers is the configuration file for the sudo command and as
>>> default there is not much in it. The only uncommented line for my
>>> Jaunty machine is:
>>>
>>> Defaults        env_reset
>>> root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>> %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
>Reading this email from Goh has made me realise that I might have
>misunderstood you and that you MIGHT be logged in as "amanda" (IMHO,
>you should not be able to log in as "amanda". It should be an account
>that you su or sudo to if need be) and unable to sudo from it (so my
>earlier advice about was unhelpful).
>
>On a default Ubuntu sudo setup, adding "amanda" to the "admin" group
>will allow you to sudo.

I believe I did that, but I'll check.  Yes.  Didn't appear to help.  From
/etc/group of Mint 8:
adm:x:4:gene,amanda
disk:x:6:amanda
amanda:x:1000:gene

/etc/group here:
disk:x:6:root,amanda,mythtv,backup
amanda:x:500:

and from /etc/passwd:
amanda:x:1000:1000:,,,:/home/amanda:/bin/bash

And from /etc/sudoers:
admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
gene ALL=(ALL) ALL
amanda ALL=(ALL) ALL

At one point, it demanded a password for amanda, but none has ever been set.
Here on this F10 install, amanda, for root at least, is a simple su - amanda,
no pw asked or required, and passwd looks like this:
amanda:x:500:500::/home/amanda:/bin/bash
Should I take the ,,, out of the mint 8 passwd for amanda?  Done.

Do you need anything else, Tom?

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

An algorithm must be seen to be believed.
		-- D.E. Knuth