installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 06:44:43 UTC 2009

>>> But, now I have another problem.  I'm trying to install amanda, but no matter
>>> what I do to the user amanda using vim to fix /etc/sudoers and /etc/group, I
>>> cannot get into /home/amanda to actually do the installation, which for some
>>> portions of it requires a real root account.  Whats the best way to  fix that
>>> so I can actually do an 'su -'?

>> /etc/sudoers is the configuration file for the sudo command and as
>> default there is not much in it. The only uncommented line for my
>> Jaunty machine is:

>> Defaults        env_reset
>> root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
>> %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

Reading this email from Goh has made me realise that I might have
misunderstood you and that you MIGHT be logged in as "amanda" (IMHO,
you should not be able to log in as "amanda". It should be an account
that you su or sudo to if need be) and unable to sudo from it (so my
earlier advice about was unhelpful).

On a default Ubuntu sudo setup, adding "amanda" to the "admin" group
will allow you to sudo.