Question about the desktop in kubuntu

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 14 18:03:11 UTC 2009

> aptitude search compiz
>
> ...and if any of the lines start with "i" (as opposed to "p" or "v"),
> uninstall the package it mentions (with:
>
> sudo aptitude remove packagename
>
> ).
>

> If it still doesn't work, which graphics card do you have? You never
> mentioned. If you don't know, find out with:
>
> lspci | grep VGA
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Muzer.

Trim

I am not the most experienced, however, the suggestion I have is something you
probably have already tried, if not you can try it without negative affects and
put it back if it doesn't help.

Open 'system settings>Advanced Tab> Composting type: and try an alternate
choice to the one you are now using.  I have OpenGL, which works for me,
however, I recall that XRender worked for me another time.  I am not sure, but
it may depend on your video card.  In any event, I would make sure I have the
proper drivers installed in my video card and try the composting solution, if
you haven't already tried that.  It worked for me.

Steven