Question about the desktop in kubuntu

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:42:15 UTC 2009

Charles T. Bell wrote:
> _uname -a:_
> Linux kubuntu 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:02:15 UTC
> 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> _systemsettings -v_
> Qt: 4.5.2
> KDE: 4.3.3 (KDE 4.3.3)
> System Settings: 1.0
> When I get an upgrade of software affecting the kernel, I usually get
> the "System Settings"->"Desktop"
> ->"All Effects" to work until a reboot.  After that I lose the desktop
> background (which returns to default),
> the "All Effects" do NOT work, and I end up with two desktops instead of
> four.
> I have an AMD64, 2.86 Ghz with 8GB ram.  I see no reason for the
> "effects" not to work; I see not
> reason for the desktop background to return to default; and I see not
> reason for the number of desktops
> to change to default.
> Has anyone a knowledgeable guess, or, even a WAG, of what the problem is?
> I believe that some how a GTK program is messing things up.  If so,
> which one????

Hello,

First of all, try to turn off HTML in Thunderbird, it is often
irritating for those still using text-based e-mail clients (and yes,
those people do still exist, though I'm a Thunderbird user ;)).

Now, it sounds to me like yes, something is interfering. Run the
following command:

aptitude search compiz

...and if any of the lines start with "i" (as opposed to "p" or "v"),
uninstall the package it mentions (with:

sudo aptitude remove packagename

).

If it still doesn't work, which graphics card do you have? You never
mentioned. If you don't know, find out with:

lspci | grep VGA

Hope this helps,

Muzer.

- --