Question about the desktop in kubuntu

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 01:21:46 UTC 2009

_uname -a:_
Linux kubuntu 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:02:15 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
_systemsettings -v_
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.3 (KDE 4.3.3)
System Settings: 1.0
When I get an upgrade of software affecting the kernel, I usually get
the "System Settings"->"Desktop"
->"All Effects" to work until a reboot.  After that I lose the desktop
background (which returns to default),
the "All Effects" do NOT work, and I end up with two desktops instead of
four.
I have an AMD64, 2.86 Ghz with 8GB ram.  I see no reason for the
"effects" not to work; I see not
reason for the desktop background to return to default; and I see not
reason for the number of desktops
to change to default.
Has anyone a knowledgeable guess, or, even a WAG, of what the problem is?
I believe that some how a GTK program is messing things up.  If so,
which one????
Has anyone a suggestion on how to fix this?
Thank you!

Tom Bell

--
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")