Question about the desktop in kubuntu

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 18:19:04 UTC 2009

Muzer wrote:
> Charles T. Bell wrote:
>> _uname -a:_ Linux kubuntu 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue
>> Dec 8 04:02:15 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux _systemsettings -v_ Qt:
>> 4.5.2 KDE: 4.3.3 (KDE 4.3.3) System Settings: 1.0 When I get an
>> upgrade of software affecting the kernel, I usually get the
>> "System Settings"->"Desktop" ->"All Effects" to work until a
>> reboot.  After that I lose the desktop background (which returns
>> to default), the "All Effects" do NOT work, and I end up with two
>> desktops
> instead of
>> four. I have an AMD64, 2.86 Ghz with 8GB ram.  I see no reason
>> for the "effects" not to work; I see not reason for the desktop
>> background to return to default; and I see not reason for the
>> number of desktops to change to default. Has anyone a
>> knowledgeable guess, or, even a WAG, of what the
> problem is?
>> I believe that some how a GTK program is messing things up.  If
>> so, which one????
>

> Hello,
>
> First of all, try to turn off HTML in Thunderbird, it is often
> irritating for those still using text-based e-mail clients (and
> yes, those people do still exist, though I'm a Thunderbird user
> ;)).
>
> Now, it sounds to me like yes, something is interfering. Run the
> following command:
>
> aptitude search compiz
>
> ...and if any of the lines start with "i" (as opposed to "p" or
> "v"), uninstall the package it mentions (with:
>
> sudo aptitude remove packagename
>
> ).
>

> If it still doesn't work, which graphics card do you have? You
> never mentioned. If you don't know, find out with:
>
> lspci | grep VGA
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Muzer.

For the time being at least that seems to have done the trick.
FYI
sudo aptitude remove compiz-core
removed most of the packages with 'i'.  After that is was just a
matter of rerunning the command for any remaining detritus.

Thank you!

Tom

- --
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis
(Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")