Bugs and irritations

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Dec 11 17:20:24 UTC 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

>> Forget about Kpackagekit and Adept. Both have been trashed to the point
>> of stupidity. Install Synaptic and be a happy camper again.
>>

> Synaptic has sort of the same approach - you must know what you want to
> find it rather than "let me see what I can find". I liked the layout and
> approach of the old Adept Installer, a kid will understand that one

In my, admittedly, limited experience with Linux distros I thought Adept
was the best GUI package manager out there. And then they had to go and
screw it up. _BAD_!!! [ My Ol' Granpappy used to say, "If'n it ain't
broke don't fix it."  ] They "improved" it. As far as I'm concerned
Synaptic is the only viable GUI package manager available right now.

To find apps when you don't know the name there's an input box about the
center above the lower windows. If you enter a key word or two while in
the "All Packages" in the left pane it will find packages with those
words in all categories. No need to hit <Enter> to have the search take
place. It starts categorizing as soon as you start typing. Hitting
<Enter> just slows down the process.

In the left pane you have the different categories you can "browse"
through if your just wanting to do that. If you see something that looks
like it might be interesting click on it in the upper right pane and you
can read a description in the lower right pane. It doesn't give the
amount of information that Adept did, but better than nothing.

To get updates, if update notifier isn't working, click on the <Reload>
button [ far left ] and when that's finished <Mark Updates>. At that
point you can view the changes or apply them.

When 9.10 was released it gave me a <Full Upgrade> button. When I
clicked on it Synaptic closed and ran the upgrade.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop