grub2 = beta?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Dec 11 15:21:55 UTC 2009

On 12/11/2009 10:23 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I do not have those installed for F10.  I'll see if grub-pc is available.
> No, but a grub2 is available that installs all the grub2 stuff in
> /boot/grub2, and makes a new entry in grub/grub.conf that names it as a
> kernel to load&  run.  This could be fun.  It spent about 5 minutes hammering
> on every drive in this box so I'm going to look around and see what else it
> did before retrying a reboot.
>
>>> Watch out during installation when it will initially use chainload, then
>>> further instructions will follow. Follow through to finish.

>> And I just found I didn't have a space between chainloader and +1.
>>
> Ok, with the space in there, I now get an error 13, invalid format.  And it
> times out in about 5 seconds and loops back to the sstarting menu from
> /dev/sda, and grub-0.97. I purposely made both Mint partitions /boot and /
> ex3 filesystems so there would not be the sort of thing where F12 apparently
> can only be booted from an ext4 system thanks to fedora's "forking" of
> grub-0.97 without even changing the version number.
>
> Next?
>
> Thanks

Gene, let's clarify some assumptions before we proceed,

o Your "grub mbr" is from F10 and this is grub-legacy, ie grub-0.97.
o Your Linux Mint (sdb) is in ext4 format, is on 2nd sata drive, grub2.
   (since you've set up Mint later, did you not set Mint to mbr?)
o Where did your F12 come in? Only heard of your F12 in your latest msg.

Could you send output from blkid and fdisk -lu?

Some points
o  grub-legacy could not boot ext4
o  second hard drives (esp usb) sometimes changes their naming
convention upon start-up. (one day, it could be (hd1,0), next day (hd2,0))

I propose the following (after your agreement to it).....
I shall send to your direct email address  a grub2 iso file about 1 Mb
size where you will burn to a cd.
Boot that up to your Linux Mint and set that grub to mbr.

Details when that grub cd boot up to grub shell is as follows...
sh:grub>ls                              {check output and note down}
sh:grub>search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg   {check output and note down}
sh:grub>search -f /boot/grub/menu.lst   {check output and note down}

sh:grub>configfile (hdx,y)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Where (hdx,y) is your Linux Mint partition fro search output of grub.cfg
You should boot into Linux Mint with latest command.

At Linux Mint boot, set that to mbr by typing at terminal
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

You're done.

Gene, let me know if you want to proceed with this.

Regards,
Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.