grub2 = beta?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 14:39:24 UTC 2009

On Friday 11 December 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Friday 11 December 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>The simplest (non-voodoo and don't require a television engineering
>>>certificate, just maybe rocket science  :) )method is just
>>>sudo apt-get install grub-pc
>
>I do not have those installed for F10.  I'll see if grub-pc is available.
>No, but a grub2 is available that installs all the grub2 stuff in
>/boot/grub2, and makes a new entry in grub/grub.conf that names it as a
>kernel to load & run.  This could be fun.  It spent about 5 minutes
> hammering on every drive in this box so I'm going to look around and see
> what else it did before retrying a reboot.

Ok, that apparently worked, it brought up a new, black & white menu with my
old default boot at the top of the list, and then booted it before I had a
chance to scroll up and down to see what was available.  What do I edit to
extend that pause time to say 15 seconds?

Looking at /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, it added every old kernel version in my F10
history, many of which have been removed from the /boot partition because
anaconda will not allow a more than 200meg /boot.  In other words, a lot of
trash that won't work is probably in the grub2 menu.  If I go clean all that
up, how do it restore this to something sane, remove it and reinstall it
again?  That seems a bit of a kludge.

Also, I note that in a quick scan, it didn't find either the mint 8 or
mandriva installs although it did hammer on all drives for quite a while
looking.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Today's scientific question is: What in the world is electricity?

And where does it go after it leaves the toaster?
		-- Dave Barry, "What is Electricity?"