20090807KL -- "Emergency" -- Lost File

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Aug 8 21:06:19 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 03:08, Perry wrote:
> Le Saturday 08 August 2009 06:41:39 Emil Payne, vous avez écrit :
> > > Look for a file in the same directory as the file you were
> > > editing, that has a ~ at the end.  I know kwrite saves a copy as
> > > .bak, but some times they do the ~ at the end as a working copy.
> > >  You may be able to recover that.
> >
> > Also make sure you have hidden files turned on, because usually
> > name.ext~ files are hidden.
>
> The *most important thing* about data loss has not been stated in
> this thread. I hope it is only because it seemed too obvious to be
> worth mentionning. But just in case:  ***do not use this drive***, or
> at least the partition involved, boot from a live cd, mount your
> partition read only.
Well, Perry, here is the situation in this regard.  When I first saw the
problem, I assumed that there was just one of those system glitches
that most of us meet-up-with from time to time.  So I didn't hesitate
to simply reboot and take a look -- as I tried to explain.  Perhaps
that was too much.  At any rate, since that time, I have stayed away
from Jaunty -- pending good advice from here!

> You will then need another medium to work from, if you had installed
> two Linux versions/distros on different partitions that's great.
> If that seems too big a price ($ or time) you may shun this advice,
> but any write operation to this partition increases the likelyhood
> your data gets overwritten.

Excellent points.  In fact, I have partitioned HEAVILY.  I started out
with a thoroughly defective installation of openSuSE 10.2.  To the best
of my knowledge, openSuSE cannot "see" Jaunty.  Jaunty has several
partitions and IS able to "see" some of openSuSE.  But going to Jaunty
at this point will automatically open the file that I want so much to
recover!

> I'm sorry I can not help more, last time I did a rescue was on an
> Amiga floppy, using a track-sector editor.
> Some (easy to find) links
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
> http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/04/09/recover-deleted-files-with-f
>oremost/ http://freshmeat.net/projects/unrm/?topic_id=866
I'll check those out.  There IS another problem in the mix.  The
specific problems with openSuSE seem to resist any kind of upgrade;
they may or may not allow a liveCD -- it is a good idea for me to check
out that possibility.  Again, the notion of doing such work in Jaunty
tends simply to re-open the file that I want to recover.  I seem to be
in one of those "Catch-22" situations!  THANKS for some good
reminders!!!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur