20090807KL -- "Emergency" -- Lost File

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Sun Aug 9 07:13:35 UTC 2009

Le Saturday 08 August 2009 23:06:19 Bruce MacArthur, vous avez écrit :
>	Perry wrote:
> > You will then need another medium to work from, if you had installed
> > two Linux versions/distros on different partitions that's great.
> > If that seems too big a price ($ or time) you may shun this advice,
> > but any write operation to this partition increases the likelyhood
> > your data gets overwritten.
>
> Excellent points.  In fact, I have partitioned HEAVILY.  I started out
> with a thoroughly defective installation of openSuSE 10.2.  To the best
> of my knowledge, openSuSE cannot "see" Jaunty.
Strange, I used mainly an old Suse in my previous computer, before it passed
out, and it could see the Kubuntu partition.
Is it possible that the partitions have been formatted differently, and Suse
cannot read that format?
Else it is probably possible to mount this part from Suse.
Even if it is mounted with write enabled, since you work from Suse, there
sould be no writing on Jaunty unles you cause it, I mean don't open a file
with e.g. Kate because the system (Suse) might try to save a backup in the
Jaunty folder. It is probably safe to search for a file and copy it to Suse
(I belive there would be no danger either to inspect its content with a
viewer)
> Jaunty has several
> partitions and IS able to "see" some of openSuSE.  But going to Jaunty
> at this point will automatically open the file that I want so much to
> recover!
Don't go to Jaunty, even if you could prevent this automatic reopening of Kate
the system writes everywhere all the time.

See what "man mount" says, if you have to edit /etc/fstab...
and perhaps seek help in a Suse group.

I just had a new idea, If you have a separate/home partition it may be
possible to edit grub (perhaps from a live cd) so that it does not
mount /home (then the eponymous folder on the / will become your new /home).
After this you could safely boot your (diminutive) Jaunty and mount read-only
and elsewhere your home partition.
Sorry I cannot provide the details, not even swear it is feasible...perhaps
someone else in the list can.

Good luck		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #3: electromagnetic radiation from satellite debris