3rd Party Applications

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 4 00:00:11 UTC 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 06:26:13 pm clay weber wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:

> >> Leave these alone, no need to uninstall; after Karmic is fully
> >> installed, reinstall these applications. They wont need to be downloaded
> >
> > To do this, I just check the unchecked box.  Is that correct?
> >
> >> again. Are you on alpha 3?
> >
> > I am not totally sure.  I found a site where there was a big list of
> > PPA's for Karmic with their keys.  I installed all that I knew I would
> > need, even in the future.  It was from that installation that a window
> > came up requesting if I wanted to upgrade to Karmic.  I clicked on Yes
> > and installed.  I don't remember the level of Alpha being mentioned; I do
> > remember that it indicated Rc, so that makes me think I am at a current
> > level of the application.
>
> Steven, you are using *ALPHA* software and thereby are using a system
> that *will* be very buggy, in many cases what is buggy will change on a
> daily basis as you update your system. And the likelihood of being
> unable to boot or to get to a full desktop is extremely great at this
> stage. Then on top of your unstable system, you are adding PPA
> repositories in which you have no way of knowing the quality or
> stability of the packages found there.
>
> I seriously don't think this is a good idea for you right now! You still
> have problems at times using a stable version of Kubuntu, but you are
> continually learning, and I think, succeeding. By using a version that
> is in a constant state of change, you will have to learn many things,
> and  when something breaks or changes, you will have to learn even more.
> Then, when Karmic Alpha becomes a Beta, RC and Final, you will probably
> have to learn some things all over again. And many of the thing you
> learn along the way may likely become outdated or even cause more
> problems if used in the future.
>
> Please take these thoughts into consideration when you are reinstalling
> your system.
>

> clay
Dear Clay,

I have already made those considerations, however, when I use Karmic and find
bugs, don't they want them reported.  That is all I am doing.  I made a
computer that is not attached in any way to my main computer.  And while the
new computer is not functioning, I set up this computer to install Karmic.  It
does not contain anything but Karmic Koala.  There are no files to lose or
anything to corrupt.  I fully expect to have problems, and lots of them, I am
just reporting those problems as they happen so that those that are repetitive
will be addressed, and those that are new will be considered.

I have a problem with my main computer that has not been resolved.  I am
unwilling to solve that problem by just reinstalling the system.  I always
lose some work I do not want to lose in the process, and the problem that
happened is such a simple problem, I can not believe no one understands it.

Nonetheless, I learn absolutely nothing when I reinstall to solve a problem.
I am so good at reinstalling that I can do it in the new computer in 14
minutes.  That includes updating and configuring email.  The only thing that
takes a little time is installing the kubuntu-restricted-extras, and that
cannot be rushed.

I, in fact, installed Jaunty in this box before installing the Karmic upgrade.
Knowing that I would have a lot of problems with the application, I still
chose to do it.  I enjoy working these problems; it forces me to learn more
faster.  If I were in the military and allowed, I would like to fire a
ballistic missile, then work my way back to a pistol.  I enjoy working over my
head.

I am convinced that a knowledgeable and competent computer operator would have
the selfsame problems I am having, and also may not be able to fix the problems
himself and have to file a bug report for his superiors sake.  Why should I be
excluded from the process.

I have been having lots of fun with Karmic.  I wasn't having fun with Jaunty
anymore.  When I have a problem with Jaunty, either these problems are too
difficult to fix, or they are considered created by my experimentation.  That is
not the case, so I am not getting the help I need.

Off list, I will write the problem with my primary computer.  If you choose to
read it, please accept the fact that any assumptions you might consider are
probably wrong.  If you accept my explanation as though I know the problem
accurately and don't read any prejudgments due to my history, and you know the
answer, if you accept that I am telling you the truth, you will be able to fix
a problem that has been setting for a long time.   In my judgment is it should
be an easy fix for an expert, which I am not.

I don't believe it fair that I be excluded from consideration when I work with
applications you all seem to work and enjoy.  If I don't die before it
happens, one of these days I will work something no one has ever worked
before, because of my unwillingness to be labeled unfit for the current work.
Those of you who are waiting for someone to get the work started will be
helping me with stuff that is not yet Alpha, and it will become a reality.  I
may be stupid right now, but it won't last.  I will learn, and when I know
what you know, you may have to move out of my way, because until my heart
ticks its last beat, I will be struggling to learn what I don't know, at my
chosen pace.  I love you, but I am not so happy having people hold me back
from where I want to be.  Maybe my problem is that I am an American; we don't
like to be restrained.  Actually we don't like laws much at all.  Every year
congress makes new laws; we have so many it is complicated.

GOD made 10 that covered everything.  And if man hadn't tried to determine
what he meant when he said the simple words, we all would be happier and free.

I wouldn't put the brakes on a legally labeled idiot.  Just because he isn't
like me, doesn't mean he can't make progress, even more than me or you.
Listen to a child sometime.  He or she may make a comment that doesn't have
the required experience, yet due to the simplicity of the thought may come up
with the answer to what you thought was a very difficult problem, and that you
over-thought.  They don't have any idea what can't be done.  They still draw
pictures with people flying in the air, without wings or a plane.  They did
that before planes existed, by the way.  I want and am grateful for your help;
I am not willing to get it at the expense of my free choice.  Thanks for the
continued help.

Steven