3rd Party Applications

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Mon Aug 3 22:26:13 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Monday 03 August 2009 11:51:43 am Goh Lip wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>> When I installed Karmic, my 3rd party Software shows many entries like
>>> disabled on upgrade to Karmic.  It is logical that they were for Jaunty,
>>> but should I remove them? Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Steven
>> Leave these alone, no need to uninstall; after Karmic is fully
>> installed, reinstall these applications. They wont need to be downloaded
>
> To do this, I just check the unchecked box.  Is that correct?
>
>> again. Are you on alpha 3?
>
> I am not totally sure.  I found a site where there was a big list of PPA's for
> Karmic with their keys.  I installed all that I knew I would need, even in the
> future.  It was from that installation that a window came up requesting if I
> wanted to upgrade to Karmic.  I clicked on Yes and installed.  I don't
> remember the level of Alpha being mentioned; I do remember that it indicated
> Rc, so that makes me think I am at a current level of the application.

Steven, you are using *ALPHA* software and thereby are using a system
that *will* be very buggy, in many cases what is buggy will change on a
daily basis as you update your system. And the likelihood of being
unable to boot or to get to a full desktop is extremely great at this
stage. Then on top of your unstable system, you are adding PPA
repositories in which you have no way of knowing the quality or
stability of the packages found there.

I seriously don't think this is a good idea for you right now! You still
have problems at times using a stable version of Kubuntu, but you are
continually learning, and I think, succeeding. By using a version that
is in a constant state of change, you will have to learn many things,
and  when something breaks or changes, you will have to learn even more.
Then, when Karmic Alpha becomes a Beta, RC and Final, you will probably
have to learn some things all over again. And many of the thing you
learn along the way may likely become outdated or even cause more
problems if used in the future.

Please take these thoughts into consideration when you are reinstalling
your system.

clay