Flash and Linux

Goh Lip gohlip at operamail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:23:57 UTC 2009

> From: Nigel Ridley <nigel at prayingforisrael.net>

> There seems to be a general problem with Flash and Linux. There are
> some websites that have an
> abundance of Flash content and Linux can't seem to handle it well.
> I mean that when viewing these
> websites suddenly the processor[s] jump to around 99%, the temp.
> rise dramatically, the fans
> works overtime and the website slows to a crawl. This is compounded
> when more than one tab is
> opened from the same website. As an example here is a example
> website (it is a fishing tackle
> online shop):
> http://www.lakerda.co.il/
> The only way that I was able to navigate said website was to open
> it in Opera and 'Disable Plug-ins'.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

The problem is with Flash 10. It is beta and is only available for Linux. You will get the same problem with any other distro and any other browser, unless you disable Flash like you did in your Opera. Of course, you can also disable Flash in Firefox or Konqueror. I think Konqueror or Opera has the facility to disable or customize the website individually. Example, you can disable Flash in http://www.lakerda.co.il/ but allows it for other websites. Some other websites may not have this problem if they don't load multiple flash ads in them.
This might be helpful to you.

Regards,
Goh Lip