Kubuntu 9.04 - system tray and panel lost! Nearly totally stuck!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 00:01:24 UTC 2009

> Again, I have problems with the system tray and panel. They simply do
> not appear any more. A few times I tried to get them back as follows:
> via terminal > sudo mc > I copied .kde to .kde-orig and than I deleted
> recursively the .kde directory. After restarting the computer, I hoped
> to get back the panel and system tray, because I had done so when I
> experienced a similar problem with Kubuntu 8.10. But now, no system
> tray and panel do come back after restarting the system.

If you are removing ~/.kde then KDE _might_ be rewriting it before you
have the chance to log out. Instead, log out (go to the KDM screen),
press Ctrl-Alt-F4, then log into the terminal and run "mv .kde
.kde-original". Log out of the terminal, press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back
to KDM, and try logging in again.

> Is there any software you could recommend me to UNinstall and
> afterwords freshly reinstall in order to get back the panel and system
> tray??? Is there any other way to fix this problem??!!

It doesn't work that way in Linux. In Windows, when you uninstall and
reinstall you are removing your user config files. Not so in Linux.

> At this moment, I can run only one package at the same time, via
> ALT-F2. So, I am really nearly totally stuck now.

That's nice, the system only tied one of your hands behind your back!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il