Kubuntu 9.04 - system tray and panel lost! Nearly totally stuck!

vt punktyras at nkm.lt
Tue Apr 28 07:40:48 UTC 2009

On 2009 m. Balandis 28 d., antradienis 03:01:24 Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > Is there any software you could recommend me to UNinstall and
> > afterwords freshly reinstall in order to get back the panel and system
> > tray??? Is there any other way to fix this problem??!!
>
> It doesn't work that way in Linux. In Windows, when you uninstall and
> reinstall you are removing your user config files. Not so in Linux.

...unless you use --purge flag while uninstalling:
$sudo apt-get --purge remove somepacket
or
$sudo apt-get purge somepacket

Program managers have this option too. At least synaptic has.

exc. from "man apt-get":
purge
           purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and
           purged (any configuration files are deleted too).
       --purge
           Use purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed. An
           scheduled to be purged.  remove --purge is equivalent for purge