Changinnng to default BIOS settings has created problems.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Apr 20 17:43:29 UTC 2009

Steven,

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>> After  a Plasmoid Panel caused crash, my computer shut down without
>> warning.  When I booted, no screen  would come up, completely black.  I
>> waited about 10 minutes in case things were being repaired in the
>> background.  Nothing happened.  I shut down the system and turned off
>> the power at the power supply and rebooted and got a screen.
>>
>> The computer opened and had a Crash notification of the Plasmoid Panel.
>> I responded to the request to provide a crash report.  Upon completion,
>> I was left with a completely white screen with no way to move from that
>> screen, so I booted again.  This time I was requested to set the BIOS
>> defaults.  I did and rebooted.  Now I get a screen half black with pale
>> blue vertical lines about 1/2 cm wide on the bottom of the screen and
>> the upper screen is red with pale pink vertical lines also the same width.
>>
>> I am pretty sure the video card settings are changed by the default
>> settings, but I do not know that.
>
> Can you get into the BIOS when the computer starts? (that's usually done
> by pressing Del or one of the functions keys - your motherboard manual
> will tell you that)
> If you can see the BIOS screen properly, then you are probably right in
> thinking the default BIOS values do not work well with your video card.
> I'd try googling to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what
> settings are correct for your video card. If you still see stripes in
> the BIOS, I'd put my money on a faulty video card (or maybe it moved a
> little bit on the slot - worth a shot to pull it out and resettle it).
> HTH,

Please remeber, that you always have an internal video card for backup.
So switch off, remove the Nvidia Card and connect your TFT to the
onboard video. Then try out how this works. You might have to set the
primary display in the Bios to "internal" in order to make that work.

After seeing that this works ok, you can reinsert the external Nvidia
and retry.

Other than primary display settings, there is nothing in your Bios that
can prevent your video card from working.

So either it turned defective or the problem is within the Operating System.

Kind regards
Eberhard

After this works,