Changinnng to default BIOS settings has created problems.

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Mon Apr 20 17:25:22 UTC 2009

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> After  a Plasmoid Panel caused crash, my computer shut down without
> warning.  When I booted, no screen  would come up, completely black.  I
> waited about 10 minutes in case things were being repaired in the
> background.  Nothing happened.  I shut down the system and turned off
> the power at the power supply and rebooted and got a screen.
>
> The computer opened and had a Crash notification of the Plasmoid Panel.
> I responded to the request to provide a crash report.  Upon completion,
> I was left with a completely white screen with no way to move from that
> screen, so I booted again.  This time I was requested to set the BIOS
> defaults.  I did and rebooted.  Now I get a screen half black with pale
> blue vertical lines about 1/2 cm wide on the bottom of the screen and
> the upper screen is red with pale pink vertical lines also the same width.
>
> I am pretty sure the video card settings are changed by the default
> settings, but I do not know that.

Can you get into the BIOS when the computer starts? (that's usually done
by pressing Del or one of the functions keys - your motherboard manual
will tell you that)
If you can see the BIOS screen properly, then you are probably right in
thinking the default BIOS values do not work well with your video card.
I'd try googling to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what
settings are correct for your video card. If you still see stripes in
the BIOS, I'd put my money on a faulty video card (or maybe it moved a
little bit on the slot - worth a shot to pull it out and resettle it).
HTH,
I.