Changinnng to default BIOS settings has created problems.

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 20 17:11:03 UTC 2009

After  a Plasmoid Panel caused crash, my computer shut down without
warning.  When I booted, no screen  would come up, completely black.  I
waited about 10 minutes in case things were being repaired in the
background.  Nothing happened.  I shut down the system and turned off
the power at the power supply and rebooted and got a screen.

The computer opened and had a Crash notification of the Plasmoid Panel.
I responded to the request to provide a crash report.  Upon completion,
I was left with a completely white screen with no way to move from that
screen, so I booted again.  This time I was requested to set the BIOS
defaults.  I did and rebooted.  Now I get a screen half black with pale
blue vertical lines about 1/2 cm wide on the bottom of the screen and
the upper screen is red with pale pink vertical lines also the same width.

I am pretty sure the video card settings are changed by the default
settings, but I do not know that.

I am using Jaunty beta, because my new computer will not work using
Intrepid.  The components are as follows and worked fine the minute I
upgraded to Jaunty KDE.

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9600, ASUS M3N-HT Mempipe Motherboard with the
nVidia 780a chip.  8gb ECC SDRAM, 9600 nVidia Gforce 512mg DDR3 Video
Card, 800W BFG power supply, 500gb SATA HDD.  Jaunty's abilities were
required to make this stuff work in Linux.

Eventually I would get a screen prompt and password request, but I do
not know what to type in the way of a helpful command.

When I boot now, I get the below.

I booted and entered the boot menu.  I attempted restore and the other
alternative openings and restore options.  I attempted the dpkg option
which failed.

I required a lot of help setting my system up, including help with the
setup of the BIOS.  My experience level and memory as it relates to the
process is lacking.

Could someone help me troubleshoot the BIOS?  Additionally, I believe if
I could get the 180.37 drivers installed, I would get video back.  TIA

Steven