Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

Cary Bielenberg cary at bielenberg.id.au
Sun Apr 19 09:46:49 UTC 2009

Anton wrote:
> And voila, its me again.
>
> Here is the next frustrating item.
>
> I use kubuntu 8.10 (hoping that 9.04 will be better, but..)
> My pc was bought in end 2006, so now its not "too new"
> to contain some ultra new hardware, and not "too old".
>
> Actually:
> - my sound doesnt work properly (most time my system is mute,
>   some time something works)
> - I think (no more sure) it worked before I installed 3D acceleration for
>   my nvidia card.
> - 1 times a week or 2 times a day the systems hang when I boot,
>   I think its something with acpi or with the nvidia driver
>
> BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE WAY BUGS ARE CONSIDERED!
>
> I know bug hunting is no fun... I did it myself,
> but the proble here is that bugs are simply ignored.
>
> Example 1:
> 2008.05.04 BUG https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/233974 (sound does not work)
> 2008.10.24  * 5 months later * I get the message:
>
>  Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
>  better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been any
>  activity in it recently. We were wondering is this still an issue for you?
>  Can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu? Â (ISOs are
>  available from cdimage.ubuntu.com)
>
> This means: "nobody checked it, but perhaps we fixed it"
> The only problem was: I got this message 1 week or so before the next
> release... which was clearly too late.
>
> 2008.11.01 I tested again now with 8.10 and added my results
> ... time passes
>
> 2009.04.07 The status of this bug is CONFIRMED (wow)
>
> and now what,... some days before the release of 9.04 somebody wake
> up to chage the status, and now I dont think that something will happen.
>
> Result: NEARLY A YEAR OF INACTIVITY ...
>

> Example 2:
> I do not have the bug anymore (its dissapeared I suppose
> my comments were not adequate) but this was *VERY* interesting
> if you consider the quality of bug hunting.
>
> I filed a bug.
>
> After some time nothing happened, I added a comment asking whats up.
>
> After I while I got an email
> TELLING ME THAT THE BUG WAS MOVED TO A FORUM
> AND THAT THIS BUG WOULD BE CONSIDERED TO BE CLOSED
> IF NOBODY IN THE FORUM FOUND A SOLUTION.
>
> Wow, .. sorry but .. this was shoking !
> Its more or less:
> " we are not interested,.. if somebody else
> wants to do the jobs then fine, otherwise .. who cares"
>

> Conclusion:
>
> Kubuntu bugs seems not to be welcome:
> - it takes half of years until somebody even reads the report
>   (otherwise somebody could haved asked me for more informations/details
>   more quickly)
> - I see no progress between kubuntu versions: the sound problem started with
>   7.10 = 2 years ago .
> - Bugs which I filed directly to the kde team have more activity
>
> If canonical collects more and more unresolved bugs,
> [...]
I share your frustration, I believe Kubuntu is the poor brother to
Ubuntu. Lots of problems I'm experiencing at the moment are KDE4 related
due to it's infancy.  I still prefer Kubuntu to Ubuntu & defiantly to
Windows. I live in Australia & support about 60 Kubuntu clients & 22
Windows XP, I have lots less problems with Kubuntu than Windows. At
least Kubuntu is not so US centric I.E. when you select AU as def region
& selects A4 as def paper etc. I don't know how many times a day I have
jammed spoolers on print servers because windows sends print jobs in
letter format. I would as you to stick at it as it is getting better.

Cary