Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

Anton antonxx at gmx.de
Sun Apr 19 08:37:04 UTC 2009

And voila, its me again.

Here is the next frustrating item.

I use kubuntu 8.10 (hoping that 9.04 will be better, but..)
My pc was bought in end 2006, so now its not "too new"
to contain some ultra new hardware, and not "too old".

Actually:
- my sound doesnt work properly (most time my system is mute,
  some time something works)
- I think (no more sure) it worked before I installed 3D acceleration for
  my nvidia card.
- 1 times a week or 2 times a day the systems hang when I boot,
  I think its something with acpi or with the nvidia driver

BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE WAY BUGS ARE CONSIDERED!

I know bug hunting is no fun... I did it myself,
but the proble here is that bugs are simply ignored.

Example 1:
2008.05.04 BUG https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/233974 (sound does not work)
2008.10.24  * 5 months later * I get the message:

 Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
 better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been any
 activity in it recently. We were wondering is this still an issue for you?
 Can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu?  (ISOs are
 available from cdimage.ubuntu.com)

This means: "nobody checked it, but perhaps we fixed it"
The only problem was: I got this message 1 week or so before the next
release... which was clearly too late.

2008.11.01 I tested again now with 8.10 and added my results
... time passes

2009.04.07 The status of this bug is CONFIRMED (wow)

and now what,... some days before the release of 9.04 somebody wake
up to chage the status, and now I dont think that something will happen.

Result: NEARLY A YEAR OF INACTIVITY ...

Example 2:
I do not have the bug anymore (its dissapeared I suppose
my comments were not adequate) but this was *VERY* interesting
if you consider the quality of bug hunting.

I filed a bug.

After some time nothing happened, I added a comment asking whats up.

After I while I got an email
TELLING ME THAT THE BUG WAS MOVED TO A FORUM
AND THAT THIS BUG WOULD BE CONSIDERED TO BE CLOSED
IF NOBODY IN THE FORUM FOUND A SOLUTION.

Wow, .. sorry but .. this was shoking !
Its more or less:
" we are not interested,.. if somebody else
wants to do the jobs then fine, otherwise .. who cares"

Conclusion:

Kubuntu bugs seems not to be welcome:
- it takes half of years until somebody even reads the report
  (otherwise somebody could haved asked me for more informations/details
  more quickly)
- I see no progress between kubuntu versions: the sound problem started with
  7.10 = 2 years ago .
- Bugs which I filed directly to the kde team have more activity

If canonical collects more and more unresolved bugs,
than it will be harder and harde to check what is still buggy and what not.

Since then I did not file any bugs in launchpad, because it still cost time
to make a report.

I have no problem with bug reports, they can ask me if they need
more information,
*I am here* to answer (shouting : "is somebody out there" ;-) )

But if you got no feedback

  YOU RESIGNATE

Thats it, perhaps my last post.

I am only curious if I am the only one with such problems

Have a nice day,

  Anton