Can Jaunty updates and upgrades be obtained using apt-get and a Konsole?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 18:08:17 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Thursday 16 April 2009 1:50:40 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>> Recently the panel left my screen.  I have been able to function using
>>> Alt+F2, however, all my attempts at daily updates and upgrades for Jaunty
>>> fixes has yielded nothing for several days.
>>>
>>> If they do not use the normal tools for obtaining updates and upgrades,
>>> how do I correct my panel problem if waiting for their fix never reaches
>>> my box?  I have tried sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade
>>> without success as it relates to the many daily Jaunty inclusions.  I
>>> have missed a week of updates and upgrades, and don't have a panel.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Steven
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> If
>> sudo apt-get update
>> and then
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> will not bring you updates, imho there are none.
>>
>> kind regards
>> Eberhard
> That is what I thought, however since Monday, I have not received the normal
> daily updates and upgrades from Jaunty then.  After an update, my panel left
> the screen, so I don't get the update icon that always produced the Jaunty
> updates and upgrades.  Since the panel is gone, I have not had any updates or
> upgrades, and I still have no panel.  I would suspect that would be something
> they would address as critical, due to the number of people disabled by it.  I
> will just have to wait for the final, or relent to the kde.org to kde change.

Steven,

actually it is vice versa. In order to reset KDE back to "factory
condition", you can quickly try to move .kde to .kde.org

BUT:
If this solution will work, that would mean, updates most probably will
not help you out of trouble!

Because:
The ".kde" directory inside your home directory more or less represents
what you srcewed up yourself. ;-))
So, moving .kde to .kde.org is always worthwhile, since if it will not
work, you can easily move it back from .kde.org to .kde

However, only if moving KDE back to "fresh from factory" will _not_
solve your problem, an update could possibly cure it.

Kind regards
Eberhard