[mostly solved] Fish won't work (long)

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 15:45:31 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:
[...many details how to use fish...]

> If the .ssh directory exists, delete it. And I mean delete it, so go to
> Settings>Configure Konqueror>File Management, and check the box,
> "Show 'Delete' context menu entries which bypass the trashcan", otherwise your
> attempts at deleting the directory, will just send it to /roots trashcan.
> Something else I've been caught out by when trying to delete a load of files
> from /var/cache/apt/archives, and wondering why I wasn't getting any
> diskspace back.
>
> Enough rambling. See how you get on with what I suggest.
>
> Nigel.

Nigel,

thanks much for your detailed explanation on eating fish ;-)

Imho, fish is nothing more than a very good frontend to ssh. So I use
fish like you do. Just when it does not work, I use ssh to test things out.

For example: fish://192.168.1.7 did not work for "joeuser" with the
password "secret", where joeuser is a user on 192.168.1.7 with the
password "secret" and the ssh server is running on 192.168.1.7

Then open up konsole and type:
ssh joeuser at 192.168.1.7

Then you are asked for joeuser's password for the machine 192.168.1.7,
that you will surely provide.

And finally you get an exact error message, informing you about what to
do to correct the problem. Act accordingly!

After this, fish will just work, just as well.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Kind regards
Eberhard