Root partition read-only

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 15 15:52:57 UTC 2009

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem.

It's not that strange, unfortunately :-)

> Today, for the second time, when booting
> my computer (a Dell Laptop), mounted my filesystem as readonly (jfs
> for the matters).
> The only thing in common that i see is that, both times i was running
> on batteries. And when connected the power the problem got away. I
> can't see to find ways to reproduce it.
>
> But I think it might be related to the fact the fsck is not ran if the
> system is on batteries.

Exactly.  There should be a message that fsck was skipped in the log.

> So, it might be that the fs gets corrupted by
> some reason, and on reboot its not clean, and hence mount can't
> remount it r/w (thou I haven't seen any message indicating this).

Probably not "corrupted", but you're not going through a proper shutdown.
If a filesystem doesn't get properly dismounted, it's marked "dirty" and
JFS will want to do an fsck on start-up.

> Anyways, has anybody else experienced it?
> I've opened bug #361023 to report this problem.

I doubt there's a bug.  How did you shut down?
--
derek