Root partition read-only

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 17:06:50 UTC 2009

Hi Jonas,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:59, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Antonio Augusto (Mancha)
> <mkhaos7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm having a strange problem. Today, for the second time, when booting
>> my computer (a Dell Laptop), mounted my filesystem as readonly (jfs
>> for the matters).
>>
>> The first time this happened was during aprils fool, when I couldn't
>> get it to mount the filesystem correctly for some time (rebooted the
>> system 5 or 6 times before it actually mounted it as r/w).
>>
>> Today it happened again.
>> The only thing in common that i see is that, both times i was running
>> on batteries. And when connected the power the problem got away. I
>> can't see to find ways to reproduce it.
>>
>> But I think it might be related to the fact the fsck is not ran if the
>> system is on batteries. So, it might be that the fs gets corrupted by
>> some reason, and on reboot its not clean, and hence mount can't
>> remount it r/w (thou I haven't seen any message indicating this).
>>
>> Anyways, has anybody else experienced it?
>> I've opened bug #361023 to report this problem.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> If there are filesystem errors you should see them when booting. To
> see the boot text, remove the quiet and splash options in grub or you
> could reboot into "recovery mode"

As i said there was no sign of erros on the device.
I tried booting with "quite" and "splash" removed from the kernel
command line, but the only message that got my attention was
mountfs.sh telling me that it wasn't going to run fsck because the
system was runing with batteries...

> There is an option "errors=remount-ro" in /etc/fstab that will remount
> the partition read-only if there are any errors, i don't know if it is
> valid for JFS. If you have filesystem errors boot from an boot-cd and
> run a check on your partition.

Now that you mention it I've looked at my fstab and I've noticed that
my options for jfs are only noatim, I don't have a "defaults" in front
of that.
I've read a thread here one of these days saying that this might cause
some problems...

I'll try adding defaults to fstab and keep watching if this ever happens again.

Thanks.