Qt-subapplication

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 14 15:07:14 UTC 2009

> KWin IS NOT Compiz, while KWin can do composite effects Compiz is made
> to do these.

I never installed Compiz.  I lost desktop effects after an update.  I was
instructed to save kde to kde.org.  When I opened the new kde, I was told
about compositing type.  When I changed to XRender, Desktop effects began to
work again, at least in part.  Wobbly windows would not work, but wasn't
necessary.  Exploding features did not work.  But the one I wanted to work
did.  It is where by putting the cursor in the upper left corner of the
desktop, all open applications would zoom out until none were overlapping.
That is the most useful of plasmoids, to me.

> Also, for all i know, Kubuntu jaunty runs with Kwin and composite
> effects enabled by default (if your card supports it).

My card supports it, but most haven't been working since an update about a
week ago.  If you are talking about my video card, it is an nvidia 9600
Gforce.  It only has 512mb of memory, but it worked fine when first I installed
desktop effects.

> Also, KWin can use both OpenGL and XRender to do its work (make your
> desktop look cool), i don't know if Compiz can use Xrender...

I don't really know what OpenGL does, so I don't know if it is working or not.
I only know that XRender works to obtain my zoom-out feature.  It is an
excellent tool when multi-tasking.  I sometimes have as many as 20 open
applications; and to move from one to another without having to move all the
pages around to find the one you are looking for, zooming out reveals what you
want, instantly.  It is a real work saver.  I have been waiting for the stable
release of Jaunty to resolve some of these other issues, but the zoom feature
was something I wanted working now.

Many of the effects are not essential, however, when someone comes to my studio
that uses windows and sees the special effects, they acknowledge the
capabilities of Linux.  Before this they kind of talked down on the
application, like it was inferior to windows.  That is my primary reason for
wanting the effects to work.  It causes windows users to become interested in
Linux.  Another is the kubuntu-restricted-extras.  Those two features are a
real interest getter.

> Well... back on topic now :)

I hope you mean the Qt-subapplication question.  Otherwise, we are on topic as
far as List discussion is concerned, aren't we?

All these Desktop effects problems are starting to screw up the normal
operation of my box right now.  I may have to wait for the final Jaunty to
pursue them further.  Thanks for the help, friend.

Steven