Qt-subapplication

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:33:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 18:08, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Matthew Flaschen
>> <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>>> I believe "Desktop Effects" is in fact the same thing as Compiz.  See
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/desktop-effects-kde .  It does kind of
>>> seem like a pointless renaming.
>>>
>>> Matt Flaschen
>>>

>> I don't agree. Compiz/Compiz-fusion and KWin is two different
>> compositing window manager that both can use OpenGL for Desktop
>> effects. The desktop-effects-kde package is only a GUI front end to
>> configure the the Compiz window manager and it's plugins if I
>> understand it right.
>
> I guess the question is, which compositing wm (if any) is installed by
> default in Kubuntu Jaunty?
>
> Matt Flaschen

KWin IS NOT Compiz, while KWin can do composite effects Compiz is made
to do these.
Also, for all i know, Kubuntu jaunty runs with Kwin and composite
effects enabled by default (if your card supports it).

Also, KWin can use both OpenGL and XRender to do its work (make your
desktop look cool), i don't know if Compiz can use Xrender...

Well... back on topic now :)