Qt-subapplication

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 13 21:12:47 UTC 2009

On Monday 13 April 2009 04:56:17 pm Jonas Norlander wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Matthew Flaschen
>
> <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> I noticed that too, however, I am not running Compiz.  I am in Jaunty
> >> Beta, though, and the Desktop Effects are much like Compiz.  I thought
> >> about it, but everything has to be so exact with Linux, I dismissed the
> >> idea.  I could not see Desktop Effects being associated with Compiz,
> >> unless stated as such.
> >
> > I believe "Desktop Effects" is in fact the same thing as Compiz.  See
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/desktop-effects-kde .  It does kind of
> > seem like a pointless renaming.
> >
> > Matt Flaschen
>
> I don't agree. Compiz/Compiz-fusion and KWin is two different
> compositing window manager that both can use OpenGL for Desktop
> effects. The desktop-effects-kde package is only a GUI front end to
> configure the the Compiz window manager and it's plugins if I
> understand it right.
>
> http://www.compiz.org/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWin
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing_window_manager
>
> / Jonas
When I had OpenGL selected, my desktop effects did not work.  When I changed
them to XRender, they worked.  If Compiz works with OpenGL, Jaunty Desktop
Effects seems to work with XRender.  There must be a difference as is indicated
by my computer.  The choice is found under Advanced tab of Desktop Effects
entitled, Compositing types.
Steven