Qt-subapplication

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:17:14 UTC 2009

On 13/04/2009, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009 02:43:24 pm Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Steven Vollom
> >
> > <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > I have the following 'Qt-subapplication' indicated as an open application
> > > on my panel.  It doesn't really seem to do anything harmful, however, it
> > > is unwanted.  What does it do?  Where did it come from?  Why does it not
> > > go away when I right-click on it and choose 'Close'?  Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steven
> >
> > Doing a google it looks like it could be related to Compiz and
> > switching to Kwin will help. Do you run Compiz?
> >
> > / Jonas
> I noticed that too, however, I am not running Compiz.  I am in Jaunty Beta,
> though, and the Desktop Effects are much like Compiz.  I thought about it, but
> everything has to be so exact with Linux, I dismissed the idea.  I could not
> see Desktop Effects being associated with Compiz, unless stated as such.
>
> Jonas, I may have done just that.  I got some advice and forgot who I got it
> from.  I also followed the instructions given and got a good result.  I
> thought I was told to rename kde to kde.org, then reboot and be in a new kde.
> I did not really think about the fact that once there I would not have my
> email to refer to, and forgot the instruction to get back once resolving the
> problem.
>
> When in the new (I think, kde), I found that choosing Xrender instead of
> OpenGL solved my problem.  I can easily set up this desktop to work for me,
> but I lose the email records from the other desktop.  I would prefer to
> retrace my steps and change to Xrender on the other application then delete
> this one.  I would then have my records and a working Desktop Effects.
>
> If you can translate my ramblings into logic, please help me.  I can't think
> of a way to post this problem, due to my memory deficit.  In any event, thanks
> either way.

steven, to go back to your old kde folder, do the following, type them
on paper if you want for easier access.
logout of your user, so you can see the login screen.
click CTRL-ALT-F1 (this will drop you to a terminal)
login, type your user, and your password.
type these letter by letter:
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop   (stops KDE)
sudo rm ~/.kde   (removes your current KDE folder)
mv ~/.kde.org ~/.kde   (renames your old kde.org back into kde)
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start   (starts kde again)
(i assume you renamed .kde into .kde.org otherwise, this won't work,
and please note, that any KDE settings you did in your new KDE will be
discarded as you will back to your old KDE)

hope this helps.
--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems