Qt-subapplication

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 14 13:55:14 UTC 2009

> > > Doing a google it looks like it could be related to Compiz and
> > > switching to Kwin will help. Do you run Compiz?

There is a desktop effect that I use a lot.  I multi-task a lot, sometimes 20
open applications.  The zoom out until all the applications show and are not
overlapping feature is just great.  I would rather have the zoom-out feature
than remove the Qt-subapplication, if that is what is required to remove it.

> steven, to go back to your old kde folder, do the following, type them
> on paper if you want for easier access.
> logout of your user, so you can see the login screen.
> click CTRL-ALT-F1 (this will drop you to a terminal)
> login, type your user, and your password.
> type these letter by letter:
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop   (stops KDE)
> sudo rm ~/.kde   (removes your current KDE folder)
> mv ~/.kde.org ~/.kde   (renames your old kde.org back into kde)
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start   (starts kde again)
> (i assume you renamed .kde into .kde.org otherwise, this won't work,
> and please note, that any KDE settings you did in your new KDE will be
> discarded as you will back to your old KDE)

Dear Willy, this is exactly what I needed.  Unfortunately it has been a while
since I reconfigured the current kde.  I have saved emails, many of your recent
ones in a file with your name that contain information I don't want to lose
along with many others.  Additionally, I am working through a strange bug
problem with system plasmoids that the developers may wish me to keep active
for a while.  I don't know what the names of the folders are that contain this
information, or I could save them to a disk.

Under Local Folders in Kontact, I have created a folder with the name of each
author of something I wanted to save.  There are seven in the current issue of
kde and probably 50 in the old issue of kde.  Also, I saved some pictures and
downloaded a few movies.  The photographs are important, but I suppose I could
download the movies again if need be.

Foolish me; it just occurred to me that I have an unused partition that I can
save the stuff to, which is unaffected by the kde change.  If you know the name
of the folder that I need to copy from the current Kontact, I would appreciate
that info.  Sorry to be such a trouble to you, friend.  I just can't learn
fast enough.

Steven

I also think the plasmoid problem is a stinker that needs to be addressed
while noticed.  I posted the problem as well as made a bug report, so if you
will take a look at it, maybe you can advise me what I should do.  I checked
and the bug had not yet been reported.  I can see why, too.  Each multiple
installation of a plasmoid is directly behind the other and probably will go
unnoticed.  I think it may be the cause of several unexplainable crashes that
I have experienced, none of which seem to damage the system, but require
attention.