to the list owner(s)

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 02:42:06 UTC 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009 09:14:38 am Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 05 April 2009 15:03:31 Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > > Actually I think she's referring to the common practice of some List
> > > Servers to add a "[user-L]" type label to the beginning of the subject.
> >
> > I also think this is a bad idea, and it certainly is not universal.
> >
> > > This is the  only list I'm subscribed to that doesn't do that.  I
> > > wouldn't mind it, even though I have a rule setup to send all email
> > > with recipient of "kubuntu- users at lists.ubuntu.com" to the "Kubuntu"
> > > folder.
> >
> > See, that's one of the (many) mostly effective methods.  That particular
> > one fails when someone (god knows why) puts the list in a bcc.  But that
> > is rare enough not to really be an issue.  So again, why make the
> > subject line (the only part meant for human eyes) longer than it needs
> > to be?
> >
> > Matt Flaschen
>
> KMail 1.9.9 offers me the choice of filtering on list when I set up a
> filter for an email from a list.  I use this for all my lists.  I have not
> so far come across a list that KMail cannot filter in this way.
>
> In the case of the KUbuntu users list, KMail is presumably using the
> header "List-Id: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions
> <kubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com>"
>
> Lisi

True.  However, when I first started using the list, Kmail didn't offer such
convenience.  (as the wizard).

and to answer Matthew, because to some, it's just aesthetic, and to other's
who have less sophisticated mail clients, it might be easier to setup the
rule.  I don't know.  I don't really know what the bother is anyway.  SUSE's
user and dev lists do this, OpenOffice.org's list does this, Linux4Christians
does this, My Local LUG list does this, the KDE User List does this, and so
far I haven't run into anything all that "long" for it to be a bother.

Not only that, but it may help new users (which is why I think the practice
started in the first place) who have no clue about that header entry.  Some may
not have a clue what "headers" are.  So, if it will help new users, I'm all
for it.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.