OT: Substitute fonts for msttcorefonts

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Apr 6 01:20:10 UTC 2009

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> nice clean install of Jaunty Beta last week I tried to install the
> msttcorefonts package. There were always errors every time I tried. So
> I decided that I would be MS free!
>
> Wonderful! But, I need comparable fonts to use so that when sending
> friends, that still use Windows, a document, I want them to be able to
> see my work as I designed it. I also have some Scribus documents that
> were created with some msttcorefonts in them and now Scribus is asking
> with what to substitute them.
>
> I did find the following after searching the web:
>
> Red Hat releases free replacements for Windows core fonts
> http://www.linux.com/feature/62085
>
> Metric Equivalent Fonts and Font Substitution
> http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/metrical-equivalent-fonts-and-font.html
>
> Has anybody else some experience with good replacement fonts or some
> tips?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I use Red Hat's "Liberation" typefaces.  They were specifically designed
to replace Microsoft's Arial and Times New Roman, and the typefaces
themselves are GPL'd.  I would suggest you give them a try.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!