Time Updates

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Sep 6 01:51:20 BST 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Larry Hartman wrote:

>>>     That depends on what they want to do.  ntpdate is a once-off run
>>>     that
>>> hits a server and then is done.
>>
>> By once-run do you mean at boot-time? Or install time?
>>
>>> ntp-server (which is also a client) allows
>>> for continual updates as long as the machine has a network connection.
>>
>> Sounds like the continual method is what I am looking for...
>>
>>> Since it wasn't specified which one (the OP's message could have been
>>> taken either way) the best option is to search on ntp and they can
>>> choose
>>> from there.  ;)
>
> Sheesh - he asked how to set HIS time, not a network's.  ntp is serious
> overkill.

OK, somebody who is henceforth forever plonked thinks it's appropriate to
disagree with this statement in private email.  If I wanted to have private
discussions with you I wouldn't be on a mailing list.

So, it's got nothing to do with the fact that you can download an ntp
package that's just about exactly the size of ntpdate.  It's got to do with
the fact that it's a SERVER.  If you don't know what you're doing, and you
start running servers, some network admins are going to get a little ticked
off with you.  On top of that, it's a server that's always doing something.
It's just more processes that a normal user doesn't need.  For a normal
user, with a normal computer, running ntpdate every time you power up,
configure a network interface, or at least every 24 hours, will keep your
machine close enough to universal time that you won't know the difference.
--
derek