internet connection on Kubuntu Hardy

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 15:01:06 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: internet connection on Kubuntu Hardy
> To: "Kubuntu Help and User Discussions" <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 3:22 PM
> On Monday 13 October 2008 15:42:16 Thorny wrote:
> > > Can anyone offer any advice?  Or recommend
> another distro that would
> > > fulfill the criteria?  She needs this laptop and
> I have been trying to
> > > get it going and fulfilling the criteria since
> the middle of August.  She
> > > is beginning, with some justification, to ask why
> I don't just use
> > > Windows.
> >
> > I have no experience with networkmanager but I have
> seen it written
> > several places as "network mangler" by
> people who have had frustrations
> > with it.
> >
> > To make sure you are really back to a place where
> manual config could work
> > perhaps it is necessary to go lower level than the K
> frontend. You could
> > try purging networkmanager, it's the deamon that
> tries to keep a
> > connection always up and which has caused lots of
> people difficulties,
> > since Debian Etch if I remember correctly.
> >
> > With it purged, you should be able to manually
> configure your ethernet
> > interface in /etc/network/interfaces with auto; inet;
> dhcp and when you
> > restart networking it should ask the router's DHCP
> server for an IP
> > address. ...or at a terminal (with sudo if appropriate
> on your system)
> > ifconfig (interface) down followed by ifconfig
> (interface) up. That should
> > read the manual configuration ...or, at least, drop
> some error message.
>
> I have for the moment shelved this, and someone else is
> working on it for me,
> but I am very grateful for all the help.
>
> I may yet have to come back too, if he doesn't succeed
> either.
>
> I gather that I have perhaps made it difficult for people
> to assess my skill
> levels.  I know nothing about wireless on Linux other than
> that people say it
> is tricky.  Until now I have never had an occasion where I
> needed to use it.
> (I use homeplug on my own network.)  But I do
> know/understand a reasonable,
> tho' not a large, chunk of the rest.  My knowledge is
> patchy.  Some things -
> things that I have managed to do in the past or that
> someone has explained
> clearly - I understand.  Thorny has suggested that his
> original email in this
> thread might have been above my head.  In fact, I
> understood it perfectly and
> had in fact already tried to do it, but had failed.  It is
> the methid I use
> in my day to day contact with my network.  Some of the
> other suggestions I
> had not met or did not understand/know.

> [...]

It's kubuntu Lisi, not you! Don't give up!

That's why I have forced the discussion here recently.
People who know debian, would also know what it means unstable. Just polishing it and offering it to the masses is not enough for the pure user and at the other hand the major target of kubuntu are the pure users. I still do not understand this controversy.

I'm still pleading that kubuntu devs should get a stable system for users who have windows level of computer knowledge aka no knowledge in computers at all.
k/ubuntu has the potential but still lacking the will, making it easier for people with computer knowledge to do the job done but failing to win the pure home user.

I've fixed the k/ubuntu installations of all my friends who are not willing to pay licenses to MS and I know what I'm saying.
I also took them the root/sudo rights and they are very very glad - me too ;-)

regards