Beta 8.10 released

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Oct 10 16:30:12 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 4:08:52 pm Knapp wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> To bring this conversation full circle back to the original topic,
>>>
>>> KDE3 is to XP as KDE4 is to Vista.
>>>
>>> I hope that doesn't remain true, but if it does, I shall skip KDE4 just
>>> as businesses are skipping Vista.
>>>
>>> Put another way KDE3 is superior to Gnome, but Gnome is superior to KDE4.
>>> Well, at least today, Fluxbox is superior to KDE4.
>>>
>>> I can't wait for KDE5!
>>>
>> I don't even want to get into this war but, is it far to say that
>> about 8.10 kde4 when it has not yet been released in a stable form?
>> Or, are you basing this on KDE4 from 8.04? I maybe be being naive but
>> I am still hoping that 8.10 kde 4 gets it together and gives us
>> something to be proud about. My hopes are not high and I think it was
>> likely a real bone head move by the Devs but MAYBE.
>>

> I am basing this on 8.04 KDE4 running as a whole, but a lot of stuff not
> working and apps crashing when I try them.  I am also basing it on a fresh
> install of Intrepid that is unusable on a Dell Optiplex 740 with an AMD 64
> 6000 and two GB RAM, and ATI graphics.  What should be the center of the
> screen is centered on the upper left corner of the monitor, the mouse is
> active, but invisible.  The only way I can use it is that screen
> elements "light up" when the mouse hovers over them.  It is pointless to test
> apps in this state.
>
> Gutsy was quite stable and usable by the end of July 2007, and based on that
> positive experience I upgraded it to Hardy in late Feb 2008 without problems.
>
> Seems to me there are a lot of big problems to fix in 21 days.
>
> I confess that because of crashes and non-working features, I haven't fully
> tested KDE4, but I do check it out on 8.04 every couple of weeks, and what I
> mostly see as improvements over KDE3 is eye candy and not productivity or
> performance enhancements.
>
> I really like KDE and Kubuntu, and really hope that I am proved wrong.  I
> don't remember the transition from KDE2 to KDE3 being this rough, but I was
> using Red Hat at that time, and they were notorious for poorly supporting
> KDE.

OK, this is probably a really stupid question but could some of your
problems be hardware, or conflict, related?

My reason for asking

As I've said before, I'm not a power user. But. I did a clean install of
8.10-64b the first of the week. My computer has been running
continuously ever since without any problems. Everything on the
computer, at least that I know of, has been working as advertised [
intel dual core, 1.5gig ram, intel video ]. All the apps I have tried so
far have worked well and behaved themselves. Other than some of the
"new" stuff that I'm not to fond of it seems to be quite a good OS. [ If
I REALLY wanted eye candy I would go to Vista - It's better for eye
candy. Ain't worth a damn for anything else but it IS pretty. ]