Beta 8.10 released

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 07:42:19 UTC 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 23:51:45 Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> On the other hand I used to know a lot of mainly americans who are "too
> softy" like we use to say and "sick of fake politeness", which does not
> help them outside of the USA, so I think the truth is as usual somehwere in
> the middle.

I couldn't agree more.  Different cultures, as you say.

> It would be nice to know what I should rephrase. You quote "got the point
> now?"
>
> Beeing said "I don't get your point?" I think correct answer or contra
> answer should be "do you get the point?" correct me if I'm wrong

Do you get the point? would be less rude, but still rude this side of the
pond.  (I.e. Atlantic). The polite way here (if you say it at all, which most
English people, certainly those of my age, would not if they wanted to be
polite) would be to ask whether you had made yourself clear, and perhaps
mention that you might not have done because you are not a native speaker.

> And still the fact that we use english as a lingua franca does not mean
> that we should use the same cultural background as base for interpreting
> what we say. It's all about getting the point - isn't it :-)

None the less, a native speaker will.

> Thanks a lot by the way I learned something again - don't ask americans (I
> assume you are)

No I am British.  (English, in fact - but you do not need to get embroiled in
our tribal wars!)

> if they get the point

Yes - avoid that phrasing.  It comes across as rude.

(And I myself had to edit what I had originally said about my nationality,
since it might have offended citizens of the United States.)

Lisi