Beta 8.10 released

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Wed Oct 8 10:18:06 UTC 2008

I really have to react on this one:

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you for the response.
>
> --- On Wed, 10/8/08, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

[snip]

>> Both share a lot of packages but not the desktop which is KDE for Kubuntu
>> and Gnome for Ubuntu. Therefore even _some_ parts of Kubuntu 8.04 will be
>> supported longer just not the KDE parts.
>
> this is _odd_. I still have my debian on the other harddrive, so I think .... I rather put my efforts to improve it. The day lenny becomes stable will be a time to celebrate :-)

Well, you _do_ know that the current Debian stable aka Etch is way
behind 8.04, do you? Older kernel, older software, etc. And Nils is
correct, the relevant parts of the Linux system will have security
maintainance beyond 18 month, it's 3 years for the Desktop, and 5
years on servers. Understand this well: security maintainance only,
and paid support from Canonical during this time, but no upgrades or
new package versions. Every other assumption on your behalf is wrong.

>> Make that 12 month, but anyway you can select another desktop with LTS
>> support, i.e. Gnome or Xfce. Or if you really depend on
>
> this is not an option and it proves that I, as user, am being _forced_ to do something I don't want. This is not what I've expected by k/ubuntu.

No, you are not forced to do anything! Stop this disinformation,
nobody forces you to update to 8.10. Why do you all behave as Kubuntu
would _force_ you to do so? You people are free to use whatever you
want, stay with Kubuntu LTS (which is 6.10 IIRC), it's at the same
stage as Debian Etch, so you have stability for another 3 years on
servers where stability is a must.

Oh, and btw, KDE 3.x doesn't fall apart just because it's not
developed anymore, it just will not evolve anymore. It's stable and if
you want stability, stay with it!

> Thanks Nils, this helps a lot to plan in the future and save time.
> Debian will for sure put lenny in stable state somewhen, so I think this is the best choice for me.
> The motivation to try kubuntu was because few desktop things are easily managed and I've expected the kubuntu people follow the debian scheme (stable/testing/unstable/experimental).

You have not read the documentation IMHO: A new branch is started from
Debian Sid every 6 month and then worked upon during 6 month to
release as Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Xubuntu, whatever).
Debian release cycle is supposed to be every 18 month, but the past
has shown that this can be even way longer (remember Sarge?)

> It's obviously not true.

Well, don't assume things without documenting yourself correctly. Just
my 2 cents...

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org