Beta 8.10 released

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Oct 4 11:58:04 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
>>> So no, not every version of every desktop environment/window manager is
>>> totally usable.  We help to make them better.
>>>
>>    All of these are laudable, to be sure.  But this misses the point of
>> Ubuntu.  This is an end-user oriented distribution.  As such it is incumbent
>> on Ubuntu (oh how I wish base Ubuntu would be called GUnuntu and be done with
>> it) developers to ensure that the end product is usable, totally.  People who
>> come to this distribution, by and large, are not the same people who want to
>> "give feedback to make future developments better".  They want things to work.
>>

> Hole in one, nail on the head, this is *Ubuntu. I use it because I
> don't want Gentoo style hacking. I don't want to hack my OS. I want to
> hack my game program that I am writing. *ubuntu stands for "Just
> works", I think that is why they have become so big. I stated linux to
> escape the blue screen of death. I started Ubuntu to escape system
> hacking but have the latest and greatest software.
>
> I wonder why the really did this. Maybe to stay in step and pace with
> the other big names Linuxes that are using 4? They don't want to look
> like they are behind the times? I would think that they would look at
> all the flack that KDE got for releasing to soon and learn a thing or
> two.
>
> This move is sort of like a writer of a long running and successful TV
> show changing the hero for new one mid-season. If 8.10, "Just Works",
> as well as and as fast as 8.04 then you can forget anything I said
> about the devs being boneheads and I tip my hat to them for pulling it
> off.

I don't think you can really blame it on (K)Ubuntu, or maybe shouldn't.
After all, the Kubuntu team did release 8.04 in both flavors of KDE.
They should get some thanks for that.

IMHO, the problem stems from the KDE devel team. Because several of the
major distro's were getting major releases ready at about the same time
they rushed to release KDE4 before it was ready. I'm sure that with time
KDE4 will come to be everyone's favorite desktop. If everyone will just
calm down and give it a chance to "grow up". From a few comments I've
heard KDE3 was NOT a great choice when it was first released. [ I'm a
relative newcomer - KDE3 has been the only version since I started my
migration ]

Before you ask, No, I haven't tried KDE4 as yet. I'm considering a fresh
install on another hard drive when Kubuntu 8.10 is released. No beta's.
I'm a computer hack, not a computer hacker. Give me a pile of parts and
I can plug it all together to make the box but what makes it all come
alive is pretty much a mystery to me.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.