Beta 8.10 released

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Fri Oct 3 09:03:51 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> I would also like to have seen this. To bad we can't do a poll. I
> wonder what the results would be?

    I was rather vocal of my disgust at KDE 4.0.  However I think I've turned
around on the whole matter.  I still rail against the whole notion of
Plasmoids as pretty much useless fluff, but 4.1.x has been good to me.  I've
been using it exclusively in a VM for well over a month now.

    I still have problems with it on my real box but I think that has more to
do with bad interactions with KDE3 setups than anything else.  On the VM
machine I found the joys of the Wonton Soup color scheme.  The real machine's
GTK apps (Firefox/TBird), don't pull the scheme's background color but pulls
it's light foreground color.  As a result I'm stuck with a very difficult to
read white on light-blue combination.  A problem, so far, that has gotten no
suggestions for solving from ubuntuforums...  :(

    Now, some of the KDE4 applications just need to get up to snuff.  KRDC for
example.  I have no idea why the 3.5.10 version is quite snappy (only
xtightvncviewer is quicker) while the 4.1.1 version introduces a 1/2-1 second
lag to mouse movements.  >.<

    I think the Debianista in me would vote 3.5.10 because of its stability.
 However the (tiny) portion of me that is wooed by the sexiness of the curls
background and the general style of KDE4's base interface would vote 4.1.1+.

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do