Some Mounting information seems missing?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 18:15:08 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:

>> Was it you that helped me put a /steven folder in my sdb5 partition
>> that would not let me save things in?
>>

> No, that was me.
>

>> Anyway if it was, I am locked
>> out again.
>>
>> When I open my sdb5 partition to store data, I am stopped with the
>> following, at the bottom of a blank window:  Permissions Denied.  Also,
>> the /steven folder did not appear, nor it's contents.
>>

> I'm sorry, obviously I didn't realize that your sdb5 partition isn't
> automatically mounted at startup. I suppose you still have
> the /media/sdb5/steven folder but when you mount the partition it is now
> somewhere on your main partition. What happened is this:
>
> For some reason you had a directory /media/sdb5 but the sdb5 partition
> wasn't mounted there. Then you created the folder which was actually not
> on the sdb5 partition but only on your main partition.
>
> Now, to clean up the mess I created on your machine, it would be good if
> you mount the partition sdb5 via Disk&Filesystems the usual way you are
> familiar with. Then enter these commands
>
> mount
> ls /media /media/sdb5
>
> in a terminal and copy the output to a mail.
>
> I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I think it isn't difficult to repair
> the fault.
>

> Nils

Hi Nils,

steven at Studio25:~$ ls /media /media/sdb5
/media:
cdrom  cdrom0  cdrom1  floppy  floppy0  sda1  sda5  sda7  sda8  sdb3  sdb5

/media/sdb5:
lost+found  steven
steven at Studio25:~$

On this particular page is it normal to not show the primary partitions
and swap partitions?

Thanks!  Sorry to put you to so much trouble.  Is Enabling the same as
Mounting?  To get sdb5 alive again showing the /steven folder, I went to
Disk&Filesystems, highlighted sdb5 in Administrator mode, and clicked on
enable.  That made /sdb5/steven accessible.  I still did not allow
information to be saved in sdb5, just the folder that was in sdb5.  It
would be better if I could use the directory rather than just the
subdirectory.  (Hope terms are right.)

Thanks,

Steven