Some Mounting information seems missing?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Nov 24 17:53:17 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> I am starting to learn to use a terminal.  The manual said I could
> >> see my mounted partitions by typing mount.  I did, and partitions I
> >> expected to me mounted were mounted, however, sdb5 should have shown
> >> and did not.
>
> Was it you that helped me put a /steven folder in my sdb5 partition
> that would not let me save things in?

No, that was me.

> Anyway if it was, I am locked
> out again.
>
> When I open my sdb5 partition to store data, I am stopped with the
> following, at the bottom of a blank window:  Permissions Denied.  Also,
> the /steven folder did not appear, nor it's contents.

I'm sorry, obviously I didn't realize that your sdb5 partition isn't
automatically mounted at startup. I suppose you still have
the /media/sdb5/steven folder but when you mount the partition it is now
somewhere on your main partition. What happened is this:

For some reason you had a directory /media/sdb5 but the sdb5 partition
wasn't mounted there. Then you created the folder which was actually not
on the sdb5 partition but only on your main partition.

Now, to clean up the mess I created on your machine, it would be good if
you mount the partition sdb5 via Disk&Filesystems the usual way you are
familiar with. Then enter these commands

mount
ls /media /media/sdb5

in a terminal and copy the output to a mail.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I think it isn't difficult to repair
the fault.

Nils