Password question.

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:32:03 UTC 2008

Hi there Steven,

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> If you know, I really like to do what I want.  Isn't that one of the
> most important purposes of our Brotherhood, Freedom to chose what we
> do?  Thanks! friend.  I hope I get the answer I want.  I am willing to
> accept the responsibility for my choice.  I cannot understand the
> risistence.  I am almost 66 years old, and really don't want or need
> someone else forcing my choices.  Nonetheless, thank you and all who are
> of your mind for your concern.  I mean no disrespect by choosing my
> way.  I won't blame any of you, if I break my machine.  Anyway, I invite
> anyone who has lost a digit to enter the discussion and explain in their
> words.  It would really improve our computing experience.

A few words about passwords:

   1. If you want a really long password use a pass phrase for example: "My
   dog's name is Rover but my wife's name isn't."
   2. Otherwise you can build one on personal data eg if George Alfred Black
   lived at 111 Some Highway Somewhere 50100 he could do something like
   'gAb50100ShS111' which is likely quite secure externally though not so from
   work mates or persons living with you.
   3. Avoid the consequences of a password crack by securing your box in
   depth: 'sudo apt-get install  bastille' then 'sudo bastille'. Without
   knowing what all of the questions mean you can safely accept it's default
   suggestions. In particular do not allow logins from the net.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!