Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 02:41:21 UTC 2008

Robert Parker wrote:
> Hi there Steven,
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Steven Vollom
> <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net <mailto:stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>

>     If you know, I really like to do what I want.  Isn't that one of the
>     most important purposes of our Brotherhood, Freedom to chose what we
>     do?  Thanks! friend.  I hope I get the answer I want.  I am willing to
>     accept the responsibility for my choice.  I cannot understand the
>     risistence.  I am almost 66 years old, and really don't want or need
>     someone else forcing my choices.  Nonetheless, thank you and all
>     who are
>     of your mind for your concern.  I mean no disrespect by choosing my
>     way.  I won't blame any of you, if I break my machine.  Anyway, I
>     invite
>     anyone who has lost a digit to enter the discussion and explain in
>     their
>     words.  It would really improve our computing experience.
>

> A few words about passwords:
>
>    1. If you want a really long password use a pass phrase for
>       example: "My dog's name is Rover but my wife's name isn't."
>    2. Otherwise you can build one on personal data eg if George Alfred
>       Black lived at 111 Some Highway Somewhere 50100 he could do
>       something like 'gAb50100ShS111' which is likely quite secure
>       externally though not so from work mates or persons living with you.
>    3. Avoid the consequences of a password crack by securing your box
>       in depth: 'sudo apt-get install  bastille' then 'sudo bastille'.
>       Without knowing what all of the questions mean you can safely
>       accept it's default suggestions. In particular do not allow
>       logins from the net.
>
> Bob
> --
> In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

I love your Gates remark.  Strangely enough I have little memory
anymore, but I seem to remember numbers, and numbers and letters and
symbols in any order.  A few years back when I was responding to the
suggestions of others I created a totally random password that has no
relationship to anything.  There are no words or patternable symbols or
relatable numbers, it is babylon.  But I can't seem to forget it.  It is
just I am missing the end of one finger, ring finger on my right hand,
and I can't type that password error free 50% of the time.  So I don't
use it except as a master password for something I rarely need to get
into.  All I wanted to do is use that password when I get on the
computer, then when I am working not have to make mistakes everytime by
having to type it in every time I need to enter root.  I wanted a Root
Shell that is always active and a regular Shell to work from.  Then when
I needed Root privileges, all I need do is Open the Shell Icon and
choose the Root Shell.  I want it to open without typing in a password
like this:  steven at Studio25:~# /ready/to/go
-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
I live alone all the time and rarely have a visitor.  So there is never
anyone looking over my shoulder that I would not tell my password to.
Nonetheless, when I am on my laptop or even here at my Desktop, it would
be nice to have good security that I only have to type in once per session.

Is this unreasonable?

Steven