Before I start filing bugs - KMail Help

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Sun Nov 23 12:23:10 UTC 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 03:51:47 Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Ok, I've decided to give KMail a whirl after the latest round of "how to
> > implement reply-to-list" messages in TBird's bugzilla bug for that
> > feature. Sick of waiting 8 years for that wart to be removed.  However

> Oh, any news on that topic? I was subscribed for the bug a few years ago
> but as you know, nothing happens. AFAIK KMail and mutt are the only mail
> applications which have useful reply functions...

    It is still in the bicycle shed.  People still think that it is better not
to have it implemented than to have it implemented in a manner that is not
"obvious" and "intuitive".  I even posted to it basically saying, "JUST DO
IT!!!" caps and all.  My post was called unproductive.  Psh, like 8 years of
"well, it should be done this way" has helped.  *sigh*

    And, no, it isn't just KMail and mutt.  Claws also does it, as does pine,
Squirrelmail (with a plugin but it is installed by default, just not enabled)
and I believe elmo.  IE, TBird is pretty much the only one that doesn't do it
because they can't decide if they want another button or to consolidate into a
drop-down off reply and change behavior based on folder message context.  To
me it is obvious.  Everyone else changes behavior based on folder context and
don't seem to have an uproar from the users on that front.  Grrrrr.

> I think this is because up/down are connected to the message preview
> window. afaik p/n are used for scrolling in the message list. You can
> redefine that of course.

    Well, that is just dumb.  My focus is in the message list and I have the
preview pane turned off.  Completely counter-intuitive even if I were using
the standard setup.

> Yes, I'm still looking for that. It is because of the agent which asks for
> the passphrase. If you looked at the console you'd see kmail asks for the
> password there ;-) However there should be a GUI askpass application
> available. It is not KMail's fault alone, but the (k)ubuntu packager should
> have preconfigured that, I think.

    ....   I look forward to that and will attempt to keep from boggling to
much at the design decisions of KMail.  To answer one of my own questions
KMail can't use multiple IMAP connections to the server (well, easily) because
it doesn't to the communication itself.  It foists that off to a KIO_slave
which, for some reason or another, cannot do everything that is needed to
implement the full range of IMAP (IDLE being a prime example).  Between the
single-connection and the lack of use on the RANGE command I'm tempted to just
switch back to mbsync for this VM and tell KMail to get its mail from the
local disc.  :/

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do